Colonial Living Beef Stew
(Serves 6 – 8)
- 1.5 lbs stew beef
- 7 red potatoes
- 4 carrots
- 1 small onion
- 3 – 4 beef bouillon cubes
- Flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Fresh or dried herbs such as thyme, rosemary, parsley, oregano
- Dredge meat in flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- In large pot brown meat in 1 Tbsp oil.
- Add water enough to cover meat plus an inch, along with bouillon cubes.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for one hour.
- Chop vegetables into bite sized pieces, and add to stew.
- Continue cooking for another hour or until meat is tender.
- Add coarsely chopped herbs.
- Thicken stew with roux made from 1 tbsp flour mixed with 2 tbsp water, if desired.
- If preparing sweet potato bread, add juice from canned sweet potatoes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.