[The following text and photo are excerpted from Rural Pennsylvania in the Vicinity of Philadelphia by Rev. S. F. (Samuel Fitch) Hotchkin, M. A., published in 1897 by George W. Jenkins & Co. in Philadelphia, with additional comments in square brackets.]
Haverford Post-office was changed to Manoa about 1883, to avoid confusion with Haverford College [post office, later shortened to today’s “Haverford” post office]. The store [with the post office contract] was purchased by Samuel H. Moore of his father-in-law, John Leedom. It was formerly called the William Black store. He kept the store for years, and removed to Chester. Previous merchants here were Joseph Kerns, Thomas Reed, Henry Warner, and McAllister & Ralston.
MANOA PARK - This farm belongs to Walter H. Hays, Samuel Moore, and Alexander Johnson. It consists of over sixty acres, comprising about five acres of woodland, and trees are scattered over the grounds. Mr. Moulton owned it, and afterward it became Joseph Oat’s fine country-seat, and he built the mansion. He was well known as a worthy resident, and was much interested in Marple Presbyterian Church in Dr. Hotchkin’s pastorate. He was a Philadelphian. The property passed into the hands of William Pyott and Edward Longstreth, and then to the present parties. A lake encircled with willow trees is a pretty feature of the scenery. The place was called Willow Brook in Mr. Oat’s time. A beautiful winding road, bounded by various kinds of trees, leads to the house.
The first recorded deed (a curious looking old parchment), transferring “Manoa Park,” is dated the Fourth day of First Month, commonly called March, A. D. 1747, in which Joseph Lewis transfers the property to Daniel Lawrence, and the consideration is 250 pounds. The same deed states that Joseph Lewis became possessed of the property by a will of David Lewis, dated 24th day of First month, 1714. The property is called a “plantation,” and transfers with the improvements, meadows, water ways, etc., certain privileges of fishing, fowling, hunting, etc. The deed is recorded December 30th, 1756, and is so certified by J. Parker Reed.
Dr. Lee resides on the next place below Manoa Park, at the home of Mrs. Philip Kinsey.