HUGH HAYNES AIKENS (1876-after 1940) AND FAMILY
[The following is excerpted from A History of Delaware County, Pennsylvania and Its People, John W. Jordan, editor, published by Lewis Historical Publishing Company, New York in 1914.]
H. AIKENS, prominent street railway official, is a native of the city of Philadelphia, where he was born November 7, 1876, son of James Aikens and Margaret (MacDowell) Aikens, residents of the same city.
Mr. Aikens began his education in the public schools of his native city, and entered the Protestant Episcopal Academy of Philadelphia. In 1893 he took up the study of law in Philadelphia, but was early diverted from the profession for which he had expected to prepare himself. In 1B97 he became assistant to the president of the Philadelphia & West Chester Traction Company. On January 17, 1905, he became secretary of the Philadelphia & West Chester Traction Company. This marked the beginning of a successful career, and one which has brought substantial results to the transportation interests of the city of Philadelphia and many important suburban cities and residential districts. From the first he manifested a peculiar aptitude for all things relating to the improvement and development of street railways, and his rise has been rapid. Since January 10, 1910, he has been vice-president of the Philadelphia & West Chester Traction Company, and he is a member of the directorates and vice-president of various other street railway corporations – the Philadelphia & West Chester Traction Company; the Ardmore & Llanerch Street Railway Company; the Philadelphia, Castle Rock & West Chester Street Railway Company; and the Philadelphia & West Chester Turnpike Road Company.
Mr. Aikens is also prominently identified with various other important interests, among them the Eastern Securities Company of Philadelphia; and is a member of the Manufacturers’ Club of Philadelphia. He is prominent and active in athletic and outdoor sports, and holds membership in the Athletic Club of Philadelphia, the Malta Boat Club, the Aronimink Country Club, The WilIows, and The Church Club of Philadelphia.
With offices in the Commercial Trust Building, Philadelphia, Mr. Aikens has his residence at 25 Park road, Llanerch. He takes an interest in the social life of that delightful residential place, and golfing is one of his special delights. He and his family are communicants of the Protestant Episcopal church. Mr. Aikens married Edna M. Freund, daughter of Dr. H. H. Freund, of Philadelphia, and they have two children –Katherine Freund Aikens and H. H. Aikens Jr.
[The following is excerpted from history section of the Llanerch Fire Company website http://www.llanerchfire.org/sitecontent/index/page/History, accessed August 16, 2016]
At 8:00 pm Wednesday evening, November 19, 1913, 70 citizens from the local community met in Paist Hall with the goal of organizing and incorporating the Llanerch Fire Company.
Our first Board of Directors elected that evening consisted of President H. H. Aikens; Vice-President William B. Cohen; Secretary Thomas B. Young and Treasurer H. V. Gunmere. Sixteen Directors were elected to serve on a four-year rotation. [Aikens was a Life Member of Llanerch Fire Company.]