Haverford Township Historical Society
Powered by Members, Contributors & Volunteers
The mission of the Haverford Township Historical Society is to protect, preserve and promote the history of our community and to sustain its cultural heritage for future generations through educational programs, accessible archives and site preservation.
Upcoming Events – Mark Your Calendar
- Saturday, April 15, 9am-Noon: Annual Cobb’s Creek Volunteer Cleanup in partnership with Darby Creek Valley Association’s region-wide initiative. Meet at Nitre Hall to help out. Join in!
- Tuesday, April 18, 7pm: HTHS Annual Meeting and Public Speaker – History of the Haverford College Arboretum by Jennie Kelly, Arboretum Program Coordinator, at Haverford Township Free Library (in partnership with the Library). Free!
- Sunday, April 30: HTHS Historical “Pilgrimage” Tour – we’re reviving our Society’s history “pilgrimages” of old in a new springtime twist on our annual house tour fundraiser event.
- Sunday, June 4: Annual HTHS Haverford Heritage Festival along Karakung Drive in the historic Powder Mill Valley. Entry donation requested.
- Nitre Hall Open Houses: Sunday dates to be announced for open house tours through the summer and early fall. Free!
HTHS in Brief
The Haverford Township Historical Society was formed in 1939 to promote and sustain interest in the history of our community. With the specific function of preserving documents, artifacts and information of historic value pertaining to Haverford Township, the Society has played a critical role in preserving our local history.
The Historical Society saved, moved, rebuilt and furnished the Lawrence Cabin (between 1690 and 1710), now located on Karakung Drive in Powder Mill Valley Park, and entered into a formal agreement with Haverford Township to also occupy, furnish, look after and run public programs at Nitre Hall (ca. 1810) and the Federal School (1797). In these historic sites, we have created award-winning educational programs staffed by Society volunteers. Visitors can also enjoy these local treasures during open houses, special events and by prior appointment.
Please explore this website to see and learn more of what we do!